RB-25D 43-3374 converted to resemble 40-2344

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
gary1954

RB-25D 43-3374 converted to resemble 40-2344

Post by gary1954 »

RB-25D 43-3374 a.k.a. 40-2344
Thought I'd share this little write up of mine with those that don't venture out much.

7 November 1957, Colonel Jack A. Simms, USAF of the Office of Legislative Liaison, was in charge of the annual reunion of the Doolittle Raiders that was being held in 1958 in Las Vegas, Nevada on 18 April 1958.
He came up with the idea of acquiring one of the many B-25s that were being phased out of the Air Force, and having North American “modify it” to represent the lead aircraft flown by General Doolittle on the Tokyo Raid, and present the aircraft to the Air Force Museum.
He ran the idea by General Doolittle and Doolittle agreed with Colonel Simms on the project, Simms had already talked to the people at North American, and knew he could get a B-25 for the project.

So, Simms sent a letter to Colonel John F. Wadman, the Director of the Air Force Museum at Wright – Patterson and invited him to join him (Simms), Doolittle, and the Tokyo Raiders in Vegas, where he and General Doolittle would present the Mitchell to the Air Force Museum.
Doolittle said that he would fly the B-25 to Los Vegas, and Simms suggested that maybe he and Wadman could fly in onboard the B-25 as well. Simms was also concerned that North American might have some difficulty in locating a top turret, and inquired if the Museum had one.
30 December 1957, Colonel George R. Bickell, USAF, Chief of Operations Programs Division, Director of Operations fired off a Memorandum to the Chief, Aircraft Division, Directorate of Maintenance Engineering. The subject: Request for RB-25D for Air Museum.
Colonel Bickell said that a requirement existed for a B-25 to be placed in the Air Force Museum, and must, as closely as possible, depict one of the B-25s used on the Tokyo Raid.
He specified that RB-25D 43-3374 then in storage at Davis Monthan “most closely fills this requirement”.
Photos via Earl Blount North American Rockwell - Lewis Collection

Bickell requested that the subject B-25 be prepared for a one time flight to for the transfer to the Air Force Museum, and that Air Force Museum funds would be applied toward the cost of the removal from storage and preparation for the one time flight to the North American Aircraft Corporation, and that the modification would be at no expense to the government.
He also mentioned in his Memorandum, that the formal presentation of the B-25 to the Museum would be made by General Doolittle on 18 April 1958 in Los Vegas.

Things happen quickly when there are a couple of Colonels and a General involved, as on 31 December 1957, Lieutenant Colonel S.W. Stewart, whom I believe was assigned to Headquarters, USAF, sent a movement order through Colonel R. R. Barden, USAF, who was then the Acting Director, Maintenance-Engineering, Deputy Chief of Staff, Materials, advising him that the decision had been made to place a B-25 in the Museum at Wright-Patterson, and that RB-25D 43-3374 was to be prepared for a one time flight for delivery to the North American Inglewood Facility as soon as possible, but not later than 1 February 1958.
He also specified that “Every effort will be made to insure above delivery date is met”.
Photo via Earl Blount North American Rockwell - Lewis Collection

RB-25D (F-10) 43-3374 at North American Aviation, Inglewood, CA in 1958

Here is a list of stuff that was to go on the RB-25D to make it look like a B Model,
- Lewis Collection

I wonder where all the extra parts went.

Flight to the Tokyo Raiders Reunion in Los Vegas

Information via Mr. Earl Blount of North American Rockwell, One of the documents pertaining to 43-3374, indicated that it cost the USAF Museum 96,024.oo Dollars to “modify” 3374 to resemble 40-2344.
Last edited by gary1954 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary
" Never in the history of mankind have so many owed so much to so few." Sir Winston Churchill
seraulu1

Re: RB-25D 43-3374 converted to resemble 40-2344

Post by seraulu1 »

gary1954 wrote:RB-25D 43-3374 a.k.a. 40-2344

Thought I'd share this little write up of mine with those that don't venture out much.

7 November 1957, Colonel Jack A. Simms, USAF of the Office of Legislative Liaison, was in charge of the annual reunion of the Doolittle Raiders that was being held in 1958 in Las Vegas, Nevada on 18 April 1958.

He came up with the idea of acquiring one of the many B-25s that were being phased out of the Air Force, and having North American “modify it” to represent the lead aircraft flown by General Doolittle on the Tokyo Raid, and present the aircraft to the Air Force Museum.

He ran the idea by General Doolittle and Doolittle agreed with Colonel Simms on the project, Simms had already talked to the people at North American, and knew he could get a B-25 for the project.

So, Simms sent a letter to Colonel John F. Wadman, the Director of the Air Force Museum at Wright – Patterson and invited him to join him (Simms), Doolittle, and the Tokyo Raiders in Vegas, where he and General Doolittle would present the Mitchell to the Air Force Museum.

Doolittle said that he would fly the B-25 to Los Vegas, and Simms suggested that maybe he and Wadman could fly in onboard the B-25 as well. Simms was also concerned that North American might have some difficulty in locating a top turret, and inquired if the Museum had one.

30 December 1957, Colonel George R. Bickell, USAF, Chief of Operations Programs Division, Director of Operations fired off a Memorandum to the Chief, Aircraft Division, Directorate of Maintenance Engineering. The subject: Request for RB-25D for Air Museum.

Colonel Bickell said that a requirement existed for a B-25 to be placed in the Air Force Museum, and must, as closely as possible, depict one of the B-25s used on the Tokyo Raid.

He specified that RB-25D 43-3374 then in storage at Davis Monthan “most closely fills this requirement”.

Bickell requested that the subject B-25 be prepared for a one time flight to for the transfer to the Air Force Museum, and that Air Force Museum funds would be applied toward the cost of the removal from storage and preparation for the one time flight to the North American Aircraft Corporation, and that the modification would be at no expense to the government.

He also mentioned in his Memorandum, that the formal presentation of the B-25 to the Museum would be made by General Doolittle on 18 April 1958 in Los Vegas.

Things happen quickly when there are a couple of Colonels and a General involved, as on 31 December 1957, Lieutenant Colonel S.W. Stewart, whom I believe was assigned to Headquarters, USAF, sent a movement order through Colonel R. R. Barden, USAF, who was then the Acting Director, Maintenance-Engineering, Deputy Chief of Staff, Materials, advising him that the decision had been made to place a B-25 in the Museum at Wright-Patterson, and that RB-25D 43-3374 was to be prepared for a one time flight for delivery to the North American Inglewood Facility as soon as possible, but not later than 1 February 1958.

He also specified that “Every effort will be made to insure above delivery date is met”.

RB-25D (F-10) 43-3374 at North American Aviation, Inglewood, CA in 1958

Here is a list of stuff that was to go on the RB-25D to make it look like a B Model,

- Lewis Collection

- Lewis Collection

I wonder where all the extra parts went.

Flight to the Tokyo Raiders Reunion in Los Vegas

Information via Mr. Earl Blount of North American Rockwell, One of the documents pertaining to 43-3374, indicated that it cost the USAF Museum 96,024.oo Dollars to “modify” 3374 to resemble 40-2344.
Thanks for these information! learn hypnosis free

Post by 05564 »

That is a fantastic story. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. Yes It's true , how much can get done with two Colonels , and a General . What I would like to know , is how did they paint the plane with only two gallons of paint? I have a hard time painting one wall of my basement with one gallon , more or less a whole airplane!!!
gary1954

Post by gary1954 »

05564 wrote:That is a fantastic story. Thank you very much for sharing that with us. Yes It's true , how much can get done with two Colonels , and a General . What I would like to know , is how did they paint the plane with only two gallons of paint? I have a hard time painting one wall of my basement with one gallon , more or less a whole airplane!!!

I wouold presume, that the two gallons of paint was for touch-up of the engine cowlings to conversion to resemble the B Model, and other chips that may have popped up during her final flight to the museum. Just my guess.
Gary
" Never in the history of mankind have so many owed so much to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Post by 05564 »

That makes sense, but brings up the question, How many gallons of paint would it take to paint a B-25 or a B-17?
gary1954

Post by gary1954 »

Good question
Gary
Second Air Force

Post by Second Air Force »

05564 wrote:That makes sense, but brings up the question, How many gallons of paint would it take to paint a B-25 or a B-17?
I think Gary Austin told me he used something on the order of twenty or twenty-five gallons of paint to redo the CAF B-24.

Scott

Post by 05564 »

It never fails , ask a question on here and get a proper answer . Thanks - thays why I enjoy this site so much ( no B.S.)