An interesting B17E picture...

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Dan Johnson

An interesting B17E picture...

Post by Dan Johnson »

...at least to me.

The image is from the 1942 Hendricks Field book.

What caught my eye is that number 4 prop is unpainted. It also has the de-icer boots removed so the leading edges are natural metal.

Were B17E's delivered with unpainted props at some point? No other photos in the book show unpainted prop blades including the YB-17s and the B17Bs

Anyway, it made me curious and I figured you gents might know
Second Air Force

Post by Second Air Force »

I've seen NMF props installed on CONUS B-24 trainers also. Do you suppose the one in your photo was a new unit from Depot stock that hadn't been painted originally?

Neat photo!
Scott
pokryshkin

An interesting B-17E picture.....

Post by pokryshkin »

Dan,
Good to see you're still kickin'!

As far as I know, the B-17D props were Natural Metal, as were all th earlier propellors for the B-17 series; I'd bet that whatever airscrew was handy (easily available at hand) at the time was thrown on Number 4 when she needed a propellor change.

That's my best "uneducated inpert" "guesstimate".

Hope it helps!

PS have the B-17B IARCs done and am now working on the B-17C and B-17D ones as I get them.

Warmest regards, best wishes, and Season's Greetings,

Dan Katz
PS - My birthday was 3 days after you posted this! Thanks! (I've only just managed to get back here and am enjoying all the posts that these excellent sleuths, resources/authorities/authors/students [like Mr. Birdsall], and all the other people with very good questions to ask, have been contributing)
The Film Air Force B-17B Serial Number Student
taylorlauder

Re: An interesting B17E picture...

Post by taylorlauder »

This is indeed a nice vintage photo. Perhaps, we can really tell if the prop is unpainted or not if you have another photo. It could be the angle of the photo shoot. B&W photos don't give much detail either. I love to see more of these!
pokryshkin

Re: An interesting B17E picture...

Post by pokryshkin »

Gentlemen: (Or, rather, Esteemed Sirs:)
To the best of my knowledge, judging by photos I've seen, the B-17B, B-17C, and B-17D propellors and blades were originally in Natural Metal (steel?), as was the prototype B-17E at first.

I can only assume that, since the B-17C, B-17D, and, apparently, also, B-17E, propellors and blades were very similar if not identical, (the prop blades didn't change width along with matching modified cowlings 'til the -F model) that, therefore, spare or salvaged B-17C and B-17D complete propellors, and propellor blades, were standard replacements on the B-17E aircraft here in the States (the aircraft shown may just be from Hendricks!)or Z.I., and this is the probable explanation, at least from what I have seen so far, and the information available to me as of today, May 6, 2010.

I hope this helps!

Warmest regards and best wishes to all (Happy Hindenburg day?),
Dan Katz
The Film Air Force B-17B Serial Number Student