B17E Trivia photo for the night.

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Dan Johnson

B17E Trivia photo for the night.

Post by Dan Johnson »

An interesting image from the 1942 book on Hendricks Field, Sebring, Florida.

Anything notable about this particular B17E?

I'm done for the night now. My B-17 Adrenaline rush has subsided :)

KnockoutDropper

Post by KnockoutDropper »

Not a clue. With that said, do you have anymore B-17E pictures to share?
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

I can scan the others from the Hendricks Field book where this one came from.

If I read it right, this bird came off the line right after "My Gal Sal" and right before the 97th BG B17E "Peggy-D"

I know I built the Peggy-D model as a kid and My Gal Sal is well known enough :)
C-47B

Post by C-47B »

Dan,

I had spotted the photo airplane's serial number sandwiched between those two famous B-17s but did not find it significant enough to post since I was focused on the subject airplane not its neighbors in the number chain. I must admit that I was too intent on studying the physical aspects of the airplane featured in the photo. Now I know why I was drawing a blank.

Here is some B-17 trivia for you:

B-17B # 38-211, the airplane that had been marked MD 105 in a famous series of photos and often mistaken as a B-17C, crashed while trying to avoid a mid-air collision with B-17E # 41-9034 on 22 October 1942 near Sebring, Florida.

C-47B Crew
pokryshkin

B-17E Trivia photo for the night

Post by pokryshkin »

VERY nice!!!

Speaking of trivia: Yes, at least ONE B-17B DID get into action!
38-215 was assigned to Ladd Field, Alaska for cold weather testing in 1941-1942, participated in bomb strikes against the Japanese fleet during the Dutch Harbor operation, was in an air battle over Unmak Pass on June 4, 1942, and, sad to say, lost all hands crashing on return flight to Kiska from a weather reconnaissance flight on July 18, 1942.

Thought you'd like to know - Yep, one of our elderly, obsolescent B-17B aircraft "got it's licks in"!

Regards,
Dan K.
The Film Air Force B-17B Serial Number Student
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

As for 41-9033, I was a bit surprised to see the green splotching on the camouflage for the vertical stabilizer. I was under the impression that was only added "in theater." A look at the Freeman/Osborne book's listing shows this airplane assigned to Sebring or Hendricks for its operational life and "written off" in July 1944.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
pokryshkin

B-17E Trivia Photo for the night

Post by pokryshkin »

It's very likely that mechanic trainees, or possibly some of their instructors, who had been stationed overseas, had seen this, or else some of the late Es and early Fs were factory-camouflaged this way. I cannot now recall whether this was applied "In-theater", but it might have become somehow known at Hendricks, and, in the spirit of preparing to "give'em 7734", (turn it upside down!), the CO or other supervisory personnel might have arranged this to give a more "in-action"/"overseas" look and feel to the aircraft.

This is, of course, conjecture at this point.

Can someone enlighten us?

Dan K.
Dan Johnson

Re: B-17E Trivia Photo for the night

Post by Dan Johnson »

pokryshkin wrote:It's very likely that mechanic trainees, or possibly some of their instructors, who had been stationed overseas, had seen this, or else some of the late Es and early Fs were factory-camouflaged this way. I cannot now recall whether this was applied "In-theater", but it might have become somehow known at Hendricks, and, in the spirit of preparing to "give'em 7734", (turn it upside down!), the CO or other supervisory personnel might have arranged this to give a more "in-action"/"overseas" look and feel to the aircraft.

This is, of course, conjecture at this point.

Can someone enlighten us?

Dan K.
I have to keep reminding myself that these photos were all taken before October 42 when the book was printed. The 8th AF had only started flying combat with 17s since late August 42 so its not like there would have been a lot of combat returning guys there yet.

It makes you wonder if it started at Hendricks and went with them to the ETO and elsewehre. You'd have to think with some certainty it was developed stateside and went overseas instead of the other way around though base on these 42 birds.
pokryshkin

B-17E Trivia Photo for the night

Post by pokryshkin »

That's a thought!!!

Anyone have Air Force Colors? either Vol. 1 or Vol. 2, and does either say anything about this??

Interesting question.

Regards,
Dan Katz