Mystery B-17 Trainer: Queenie with "U1" code

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Re: Mystery B-17 Trainer: Queenie with "U1" code

Post by aerovin2 »

Good deductions to this point. Betty from the museum sent me some photos. Tail is obscured in the first batch with no serial visible. I asked if there were any showing the data block and she sent me one. It would appear to show it as 42-1027XX, with the last two digits obscured, of course. So all that was written above I think can be confirmed. Interesting little quest. When I get a chance I will post these photos for all to peruse.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

OK - start trying some things like I've been trying for 42-1028XX in Paducah:
High school yearbooks: Check the local library's 1947 through 1950 Pipestone yearbooks for photos (aeronautics class and candid shots pages); I tried classmates.com, but they only have '46 and '51.
See if there's a Facebook "You Know You're From Pipestone When..." type of group on Facebook where the locals post old photos.
Keep digging through eBay for photos - slim chance but we do keep finding them that way.
Check every issue of the local newspaper (microfilm) for articles on the airport.
Contact Robert Hyde's children if possible.
Check for old records from the Junior Chamber of Commerce/Civic and Commerce Association - could they have a bill of sale?
Etc., etc., etc. Good luck.
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

I would take any new photos at this time -- even with the numbers obscured.

Even a small piece of a number can give me that the number should be
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

Chris Brame wrote:OK - start trying some things like I've been trying for 42-1028XX in Paducah:
High school yearbooks: Check the local library's 1947 through 1950 Pipestone yearbooks for photos (aeronautics class and candid shots pages); I tried classmates.com, but they only have '46 and '51.
See if there's a Facebook "You Know You're From Pipestone When..." type of group on Facebook where the locals post old photos.
Keep digging through eBay for photos - slim chance but we do keep finding them that way.
Check every issue of the local newspaper (microfilm) for articles on the airport.
Contact Robert Hyde's children if possible.
Check for old records from the Junior Chamber of Commerce/Civic and Commerce Association - could they have a bill of sale?
Etc., etc., etc. Good luck.

Life's been busy. Haven't had a chance to visit Pipestone yet. I'll get there :)
terveurn

Re: Mystery B-17 Trainer: Queenie with "U1" code serial foun

Post by terveurn »

D-Q1 turns out, was 42-102722

Lucky she had an accident with photos and information recorded
42-102772 drew U1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by terveurn on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

Bravo! You solved this mystery the same way I solved mine. May we see the accident photos?
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

This is the only usable one in the bunch - had to pull the tail ID from the MX sheet (which I attached earlier)
42-102722 gg.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.