Help with a 1930s Y1B-17? photo in California

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
fisherfamily

Help with a 1930s Y1B-17? photo in California

Post by fisherfamily »

I have a photo of what some tell me is a Y1B-17 taken sometime in the late 30s, probably in California during December or January. It is a excellent photo as it was scanned from a negative in excellent condition. It is sitting in front of a very large and interesting shaped building.

Can someone confirm the model and where the photo was taken?

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5137270
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

I'm guessing it's the airplane displayed at Treasure Island in San Francisco around 1938 for a pavillion. I'm going to send a link to Bill Larkins as he will know for sure as he has other photos of that airplane taken at the same time.
fisherfamily

Thanks

Post by fisherfamily »

So it is a Y1B-17?

Do you know what the tall structure is?

I would love to see more photos of this plane.
PB-1G

B-17 at Treasure Island

Post by PB-1G »

That is a beautiful photo that you posted so I made the efort to sign up so I could answer your question. The photo was taken in 1939 on Treasure Island in front of the Federal Building. It is Y1B-17 AC 36-149 and was sensational to be seen at the time. Here is my photo of it in 1939 and I will post another from 1940. Bill Larkins Image
PB-1G

Y1B-17 at Treasure Island in 1940

Post by PB-1G »

The Golden Gate International Exposition (GGIE) was supposed to be one year only but it was so popular that it was decided to open it again for a second year. During the winter while it was closed the B-17 was taken back to Mather Field in Sacramento and painted in new wartime camouflage colors and returend to TI in 1940 as shown in this photo. Some Air Corps records show it as being a B-17B at this time.

aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

According to Roger Freeman/David Osborne's The B-17 Flying Fortress Story, 36-149 was the first Y1B-17 and was delivered on January 3, 1937. It went to the 2nd BG at Langley, then to Amarillo, TX, in November 1942 where it was written off that same month.
fisherfamily

Post by fisherfamily »

Thank you all. I appreciate the effort.
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

The aircraft is indeed Y1B-17, A.A.C s/n 36-149. And it is at the 1939 San Francisco event. Although it didn't stay there for two years.

It was the first of thirteen Y1B-17s delivered to the A.A.C., however, it went to Wright Field for evaluation, and not to the 2nd Bomb Group at Langley Field.

The first Y1B-17 to go to Langley Field was 36-150, and the last one was 36-160. The thirteenth Y1B-17, s/n 36-161, was actually delivered to Langley before 36-160.

From my research, it is more than likely that this aircraft is actually the second Y1B-17 to be built, as the first one was heavily damaged in a landing accident. All histories on the B-17 say that after the accident, the aircraft was rebuilt in about two weeks and then sent to Langley Field. This is a load of crap because, like I said, it went to Wright Field. The aircraft had extensive damage to the nose and sudden stoppage to at least two engines which would mean a lot of inspection of the engine mount areas were needed (this would mean removing the engines and everything back to the firewall, then inspecting and fixing any damage), in addition to replacing the engines and props.

These first aircraft were not built like later models, in that they weren't made in a lot of different sections. The nose could not be removed and replaced, it had to be taken apart and rebuilt, which meant removing and replacing longerons, formers, stringers, skin, flooring, and the nose frame and glass. I can guarantee it would, and probably did, take longer than two weeks.

With the amount of work needed on the aircraft, it was a lot simplier to just take the next one on the line. And it just so happens that they were being built with the plan of one every two weeks. So, you be the judge.

I personally believe that the first Y1B-17 actually ended up being 36-161, the thirteenth Y1B-17.

And the reason why 36-160 was delivered after 36-161 was probably because 36-157 had major damage happen to its wings during an incident in 1937, and was out of commission for about six months. More than likely, the wings were removed and sent back to Boeing to be rebuilt, and the wings scheduled for 36-160 were shipped to Langley so that 36-157 could get back to flying. And, because the wings were so big (they couldn't be trucked or sent by train), they were probably shipped by boat. So, 36-160 would have ended up with the wings from 36-157 after they were completely rebuilt, which would have delayed its delivery until after 36-161.