B25 iD - spotted near Santa Cruz, CA, 10-14

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
mikeb

B25 iD - spotted near Santa Cruz, CA, 10-14

Post by mikeb »

Saw this B25 at low level doing a beach run, not far north of watsonville, ca (which is just south of Santa Cruz). Did a run up and back up the beach at low level. Looked great. I wondered where it was from / where it was based.

The low light meant on the way back my zoom lens did not capture the nose art clearly enough... but someone must know this one.

Description: On the tail, it has a native indians head, "199", and the nost art is a reclining female with indicipherable text. No waist guns, but does have nose, tail, top guns, red ring on front of each cowling.

Close up Starboard side, no nose art
Port side, nose art (slightly blurred)
Low level down the beach

Also saw a Vultee valiant doing several beach passes... was wondering where that came from also. I checked out watsonville airport and the B25 doesn't seemt to be based there. The FBO there thought perhaps Monterey, Hollister, or further afield.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

That would be In The Mood, s/n 44-29199 (N9117Z), based at Rialto, CA. Bet that was a fun few minutes.
mikeb

In the mood

Post by mikeb »

Thanks!

Yes it was great, I wanted to see it again, because as it was coming from the downwind, I didn't see it to the last moment, and hence my photographs were a little late and hurried.

There is a also a great spot on the dunes up 150ft, and I figure one would get a great shot looking down a little, so I hope to work out when they are flying again and go down there again.