Test

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Test

Post by aerovin2 »

Test
DryMartini

???

Post by DryMartini »

And what are you testing?
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team

Post by Guest »

If this is a test, what are the questions??
:?
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

The question is: how to keep the intrusive spammers off this forum and off the memberlist....answer is I think I've added a mod to the forum that will do it. It's the required question you have to answer and the spam bots are too dumb to do it. Eureka, I have found it.
DIK SHEPHERD

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

EUREKA is on the FX channel.

Is that the answer to the test? :)
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Good enough for me. You get an A+.
Jeff Wilkinson

User Shield

Post by Jeff Wilkinson »

Hey Scott,

We've chatted in the past about the phpBB script. I use it too with my website. I'd like to recommend to you one of the mods I have installed. User Shield is a mod from the phpBB site, and takes but a few minutes to install.

The way it works is if you have forum activation sent to User, the user has to reply in order to activate his account. Most spammers don't care if the account is activated, the information they want advertised (web URLs, ICQ numbers, etc.) is seen by everyone. User shield keeps profile information hidden from all but the administrator, thus defeating the spammer's goal. In addition, all inactive accounts are in a single memberlist, so you can get rid of the entire list in a single mouse click (instead of having to do them one at a time in the ACP.)

There are a couple of other mods, including one that adds the line "An activation e-mail will be sent to this address" for the email address one has to submit to register. Often, the human spammer will see this and not bother with registering.

And, as always, it's most secure when you have posting allowed by registered users only! :)
Jeff Wilkinson
Oklahoma Wreckchasing
http://okwreckchasing.org