B-25 Sighting at RNO. Which One?

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Craig59

B-25 Sighting at RNO. Which One?

Post by Craig59 »

I was flying a turnaround out of DFW to RNO yesterday. While doing the walkaround on my 757 at RNO, I heard the unmistakable sound of radials accelerating. I looked up to see a B-25 during takeoff roll on 16R. It was of course, a J model, bombardier nose, top turret, OD camo with diagonal white stripes on the fuselage aft of the wing. Anyone know which B-25 I saw?

Thanks,

Craig Thorson
bluethunder28

Post by bluethunder28 »

It was probadly Collings "Tondelayo" as she is I "think" the only one in those colors and was most likely heading home to Houston.
ww2John

Post by ww2John »

Don't think it was Collings Foundation Tondelayo, at least not according to their web site.

Supposedly in Manchester, NH yesterday and up to Beverly, MA later this week.

2nd choice would be?
ww2John
Craig59

Post by Craig59 »

Yep. Definitely not "Tondelayo." Dad and I rode in her at Tucson last April 18th. No top turret as that's where we sat for takeoff and landing. Any other thoughts anyone?
k5083

Post by k5083 »

It sounds to me like "Executive Sweet." See pics about halfway down this page:
http://www.air-and-space.com/20040828%2 ... rbirds.htm

August
Craig59

Post by Craig59 »

August, I believe you have it! I saw it from the right side only (no nose art) and it all happened so quickly the only thing that stuck in my mind was the OD paint and the stripes. I had no idea Executive Sweet had been repainted in this scheme. I'll always remember her as bare aluminum.

I think it was around 1979 or so that she was offered for sale for a short time for around $35.000. I had both my private and instrument ratings by then and was working on my commercial flying out of both SNA and LGB in SoCal. I mentioned her availability to my Dad (a former PBJ driver) and suggested how neat it would be to own a B-25. I recall him looking at me as though I had two heads and commenting that our C-152 would have to suffice. Oh well!

Here's Dad and I in Tondelayo in Tucson last April.

Post by Guest »

I totally forget about Executive Sweet. I had always seen her "bare" before and just not use to seeing her painted and she has been painted for a couple years now.