B-17F, B-17G wartime wrecks found underwater

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
OldBillB17F

B-17F, B-17G wartime wrecks found underwater

Post by OldBillB17F »

Through my internet crawling, I have found 2 B-17s that have not been previously mentioned as being discovered on any warbird list or forum that I know of. They are underwater, and according to the divers I talked to, they are complete minus some banged-up front ends. Serial numbers and aircraft histories are known as well. Both were ditched, one during a ferry flight and the other after a mission.

Scott, I don't know if you would want these in your registry or not. If anyone wants the aircraft info with a few pictures, let me know and I can post them here.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Yes, please, very much, I would like to have the information for the B-17 Locator page and I'm sure everyone here would like to see the information posted, plus pictures. If you need assistance in posting the photos let me know.

Thanks.
OldBillB17F

Post by OldBillB17F »

B-17F 41-24516 "Meltin Pot"

Ditched on the night of September 11th 1942 off of Lough Foyle, Ireland. This plane was brand new and did not see combat. Aircraft was flown by Captain William Curtis Melton.

According to sources, the local diving club found it intact in 2001. Artifacts taken from the crash, including preserved A-10 oxygen masks, can be viewed at the Maritime Museum in Greencastle. Waters are extremely dark and foliage covers the majority of the aircraft as this photograph shows.

Waist gun with armour plate attached

B-17G 42-38008 "Clay Pigeon"

Ditched off the coast of Oskarshamn, Swedan after a bombing raid on Berlin in late 1943. Flown by a 2nd LT. Matichka. Wreck is in remarkable condition.

ww2John

Post by ww2John »

Many thanks for this detailed information and the pictures.
ww2John
bbcamp

Post by bbcamp »

Any german speaking people in this place? ...Irgendwelche englischsprechenden Leute in diesem Platz?! :)[size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size][size=0].[/size]