An idea

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
OldBillB17F

An idea

Post by OldBillB17F »

Tell me what you all think of this idea. I haven't thought too long about it.

The idea would be to go over to Greenland and pull up one of the Lost Squadron B-17Es. Granted, back in 1990 one of them was found to be not much more than a pile of scrap. Regardless, the remains of one or both could be brought to the surface. Based on the condition of the P-38 when it was found, one can theorize the the wings and engine areas of the -17 could be relatively intact due to their thinner profile than the fuselage. Most small/compact parts such as machine guns, ammo cans, gun mounts, turret frames and mechanical parts should have survived. The idea would be to use the remains as templates for the rest of the surviving B-17 fleet and or build a brand new B-17 out of these templates. It would be quite the process, but could be one that ensures the future survivability of all B-17s.
hang the expense

greenland 17s under the cap

Post by hang the expense »

judging by the destruction of one of the Main spar carry thrus that I viewed some years back they are completely junk. I know that if the would have been even remotely rebuildable then Mr brooks would have gotten one out.