Marine Corps PBJs

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
PB-1G

Marine Corps PBJs

Post by PB-1G »

This is a fairly rare photo of excellent quality, probably taken by Clay Jansson. It is a PBJ-1J of VMB-612 at Chimu Airfield, Okinama, in 1945. The nose radome and rocket attack scores are of special interest. Image
PB-1G

Photo Repeated

Post by PB-1G »

IU am going to post that again as it is too small. I used the Image Shack recomendation for websites but it is not suitable for a group like this that likes to see detail! Image
Craig59

Post by Craig59 »

Bill,

Welcome aboard and thank you for the PBJ-ID picture. In addition to the radar and rocket racks, it has the modified tail gunners position. The rear plexiglas is missing and I'd be willing to bet it had the field modified single fifty caliber installed.

Here's another PBJ picture, this time an 'H' model. You wouldn't know it was a PBJ were it not for all those Marine Corps aviators posed in front! My Dad is back row, second from the right. The ship is Bureau Number 35251 (43-4660) and the photo was taken on November 25, 1944 at MCAS Edenton, NC. Dad flew this ship the very next day for two hours - the only time he flew this one. He also flew the one and only 'G' model PBJ the Marines received, 35097, while in PBJ training with Marine Training Squadron 812. He joined VMB-433 as a replacement pilot in May, 1945.
Greg Vallero

Post by Greg Vallero »

What is the white lump under the wing between the bomb racks and the wingtip?