Got more B17B IDs for you Dan K. Hendricks book showed up!

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

C-47B wrote:If someone is going to go through the trouble of making artwork profiles for this airplane--why not do both? Show a profile of Mary Ann as the airplane appeared during the movie and show a profile of the airplane in Natural Metal in the airplane's early career. Both should be included as a matter of course. That is how I would do it.

As for B-17B # 05:

The intake scoop can be easily replaced from another airplane; it is the off set commander's dome that is the certain clue as to the mark.

C-47B
The intention I have, and it is time consuming, would be to do profiles of 8584 from beginning to end.

I wonder if she came with the bulged waist windows or had the early style radio room and lower gun mount while having the later style waist windows like the photo of the B17Bs from the 7th BG.

I figure it's my time and I want to get them right so it won't be an overnight deal, but something I can keep working on. I'll start with 8584 with the white or NMF on the vertical tail, with 8584 showing and the large 10 etc, then work through the movie versions while working backwards towards 8584 in most likely 88th RS, 7th BG colors as i think that's where she started.
pokryshkin

Got more B-17B IDs for you, Dan K.

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Tony,

Thank you!
This means that "05" could be a B-17B. WAS the bubble able to be seen through to that extent on a B-17C or B-17D?
Please advise.
If so, we can now suspect "05" (B-17B) as likely being in only the formation shots.

Dear Dan,

I suspect that 8584 started out with all blisters and the .50 nose cap position.
"8584" was delivered to Boeing on August 11, and returned on August 25th, 1941.

She likely was "MODERNIZED" (to quote the stamp visible in the Record Card's pages where this was done at Air Depots, but when at Boeing for the full upgrade, just the word "Boeing" and the date there, and the date returned to the originating base [name of base and date redelivered] was typed in) in '41 and redelivered sometime in August, between the 2nd and 21st, like all 18 of her sisters that were officially modernized, as these aicraft were fully brought up to B-17C Standard.

Those surviving B-17Bs that were partially modernized, had received some, any, or all, of the following: flush waists, flush radio room, side nose window .30 gun positions (1 on each side, 1 port and 1 starborad), B-17C-type nose cap with 3 positions for a .30, and this might have been done at unit level. OR at an Air Depot.
An excellent example of this is that 88th RS airplane in the lineup.

As to the artwork:

I really look forward to seeing at least 2 magnificent sideviews, 1 in the original "blister-ed" natural metal,, with the 88th RS of the 7th BG, with the second in the OD/Grey scheme with either "8584""10" or "05564""10"
"Mary-Ann."

- In fact, why not BOTH OD/Grey schemes, or even a 3rd OD/Grey scheme, but with the "10" overpainted, in addition, for the complete story?

It only occurs to me NOW that Mary Ann would have been redelivered, after modernization, in OD/Grey with 8584 on the upper rudder, to whichever unit she was now assigned. This would be a 4th
costume for Mary Ann, which would be just AFTER the Natural Metal scheme, but BEFORE the Hendricks assignment.
SO: to give her total life story, we would need to show:

(1) Natural Metal, ??/88R , ??/9B[BG], ??/11B[BG], or ??/7B after delivery)
(2) OD/Grey, "8584" ( after modernization redelivery)
(3) OD/Grey, "8584"/"10" (Hendricks Field Training ID)
(4) OD/Grey, "05564"/"10" (Hendricks Field, repainted for "Air Force")
(5) OD/Grey, "05564" ("Post-Hickam," "10"removed for "Air Force")
(6) OD/Grey, ("05564?"-"8584??")/"68," with the words,
"MARY ANN STAR OF MOVIE "AIR FORCE"
on nose side in small letters to fit under nose
windows (Post-premiere War Bond Tour)
I'll email you the 2 photos that show this, 1 of which we've seen here.

Gratefully,

Dan Katz
Last edited by pokryshkin on Sun May 17, 2009 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Film Air Force B-17B Serial Number Student
Chris Brame

Post by Chris Brame »

Just a thought: Does anyone know the ID of the B-17B used in the 1941 film I Wanted Wings, and did it end up modernized and possibly sent to Florida like the others? I'll dig out my VHS copy if need be and get the tail code (BG1 or BB1 I think).
C-47B

Post by C-47B »

Chris,

I love that movie. A lot of good real life flying sequences.
And that is 1941 Texas passing beneath those wings.
That is what's so cool about it.

The movie does have some unexpected adult themes such as pre-marital sex and sexual extortion. Veronica Lake is smokin'. The only part I have an issue with is the night-time B-17 landing in the desert. Kind of far-fetched. Other than that, I really like that one.

"Don't make a monkey out of me Ludlow."

Tony

Anthony J. Mireles
FATAL ARMY AIR FORCES AVIATION ACCIDENTS
IN THE UNITED STATES, 1941-1945
http://www.warbirdcrash.com
pokryshkin

Got More B-17B IDs for you Dan K.

Post by pokryshkin »

Gentlemen:

FASCINATING! I barely recall seeing that something like once or twice on TV in LA, in my 'tweens and early 'teens.

It would be good if we can nail down all these B-17B aircraft used in these films. We've got a pretty good start with Air Force.

I'm going to sent Scott a copy DVD of MY DVD copy of Flying Fortress , so that he can put it on the website, just as soon as I can afford the postage.

Flying Fortress stars 3 identifiable Fortress Is: AN526/WP*G and AN530/WP*F being boarded by crews prior to raiding Berlin(-!), with AN518/WP*B in takeoff scenes. These scenes were shot AFTER 90 Squadron was taken off of Ops, I believe in late 1941.

That's an odd situation: Flying Fortress, filmed first, in 1941, starred B-17C {Fortress I}aircraft.
And yet Air Force, filmed later,in 1943, starred the earlier B-17B aircraft!

And, now, I Wanted Wings.

Are there any other films with B-17B aircraft in them?

I know that Test Pilot involves a YB-17, and a mocked-up DC-2 for the crash scene, but I'm not sure about whether there are any other early B-17 variant films.

Please advise. Looks like the renowned detective team is on new trails!

Truth to tell, regarding I Wanted Wings, I'm on shakier ground.

Regards,

Dan Katz
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

Interesting about "I Wanted Wings". Gonna have to find that one. I had no idea Bernie Lay had written a book prior to 12 O'Clock High
pokryshkin

Got More B-17B IDs for you, Dan K.

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Dan,

-And the rest of you guys, too-

I have this habit of going back to posts and editing them to make information or thoughts clearer or better. Please go ahead and recheck any posts I've made on these various forums, as I add data when available, and try to clarify thoughts as well.

Just wanted you to know.

Regards,
Dan Katz