Got more B17B IDs for you Dan K. Hendricks book showed up!

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Dan Johnson

Got more B17B IDs for you Dan K. Hendricks book showed up!

Post by Dan Johnson »

The B17B gods are shining on me. Got a couple more B17B IDs for the Hendricks birds. Photos too :)

Even better the 'yearbook' for 1942 has the names and photos of all kinds of people in it including the instructor pilots and maint guys. I think I'm going people finding. Someone has to have a photo album :)

This first pic from the book is gold. 9006 aka 04 in the foreground. One of our Y1B-17s behind it in the hanger :)

We now know that 17 was 8270. I think the camo on it is interesting..or touch up paint :)

Our old friend 8211 from a nice angle

Some other ones I can't see the tail serial but have ID numbers.

A real nice shot of 12 coming in. Looks to have the B-17B style gunner position underneath, not a replacement tub like the C/D

And our old friend 05. The intake on the number 1 engine seems to say B17C doesn't it?
Number 13
pokryshkin

Got more B-17B IDs for you, Dan K.

Post by pokryshkin »

WOW!!! I'll update all my posts stat! :D
Thank you SO much!

Again, may I have your permission to publish your research, giving you credit by name and crediting any photos and/or research?

Please let me know, I'm at katzusa3@yahoo.com

THIS time, I want to get it into print before someone else does!

I've started on 3 or 4 different things, but this is being handed on a silver platter!!!

Please let me know.
Thanks again.

Let's keep this thing going 'till we have them ALL ID'd without quetion!

Warmest grateful regards and best wishes,
Dan K.
The Film Air Force B-17B Serial Number Student
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

Interesting to note from the Hendricks Field book. The photos show the lowest ID number on a B17E as 25 and the highest as 57. The highest number on a B17B is 18 with the lowest being 05 although that Y1B-17 almost looks like 00.

It also mentiones that it had a compliment of 10 B17s by February 42 and that when the book was published in October 42 that they had graduated their 6th class of B17 crews.

No marking out of serials on the B17Es or the early birds if they show the tail. 41-2511(25), 41-9033 (29) and 41-9167(52) are visible in the book. All ball turrets, no remote turrets showing on the E models

A rather fascinating, if musty smelling book :)
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

OK one last thing tonight then I really have to sleep :)

Based on the intake shape on 05 in the Hendricks Field book, is it safe to say that it's 40-3065 based on that being the only D model based there during that time? I noted that Dan K made reference to this in another post.

Does it mean we might have 5 of the 12 movie birds now? :)

pokryshkin

Post by pokryshkin »

The problem here is no cowl flaps!
This therefore is a B-17C if not a B series.

Those photos are beautiful!!!
Best of luck in your research. Anything I can do, just gimme da woid!!

Dan K

Now I'M hitting the hay!

Got some written already, am up to discovering this great website and forums.
pokryshkin

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Dan,
May I have your permission to use those photos from the Hendricks book?

Also, Dad raised some interesting questions:

1. Was the book copyrighted?
2. If so, who was the copyright holder?
3. If the book WAS copyrighted,
A. Was it renewed?
B. Regardless, is it still in force?

Can you let me know, so I can try to get THRIR permission?

Warners, doesn't approve "screen pulls" - they'd give me approved Publicity Stills. The charge varies case-by-case. I'm still writing the cover letter to them for the request form.

I'm also going to ask Boeing about sideview drawings and permissions,
as well as Peter Bowers, Sentry Books, and the successor to Aviation News, which published some tone drawings I could adapt.

This all in response to suggestions from my father ,".....to try to keep you out of jail..."

Please advise about the book's copyright as soon as convienient.

Thank you VERY much!

Sincerely,

Dan Katz
C-47B

Post by C-47B »

Dan Johnson,

What is the title of this book?

Who is the Author?

What year was it published?

Is there an ISBN number?

Is it one of those AAF books published by the US govt and given to personnel who served at the base, like a year book? I have a book about the classes at Maxwell Field in 1943.

Thanks.

Tony Mireles

Anthony J. Mireles
FATAL ARMY AIR FORCES AVIATION ACCIDENTS
IN THE UNITED STATES, 1941-1945
http://www.warbirdcrash.com
C-47B

Post by C-47B »

Just went through all of the posts and found the thread Dan Johnson posted concerning the "Hendricks Field--Prepare for Combat" book. It appears to be one of those books published by the AAF and intended for personnel. If the book was published by the AAF, then it is a public domain item and anybody can publish the photos seen in the book. The exception is if the photos are credited to an individual author/photographer, then the copyright is in effect until 70 or 75 years after the author's death. If I remember correctly, current law does not require that the copyright be renewed. It is automatically in effect.

C-47B Crewmember

Anthony J. Mireles
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

This is the page with the publisher info. They do not appear to be in business anymore

pokryshkin

I Got it! Mary Ann with the White Tail Stripe is 8584!

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Dan, Tony, and whomever else (Bill?),

Thank you VERY much! As long as there are no photo credits, I THINK I can get away with publishing the photos, so can others.
It LOOKS like public domain, and since this is "restricted to officers, men, and their families" at the time, I'd say it's likely unclassified by this time.

Thank you so much, gentlemen!
This is a load off my mind.
Now, I just need to find out what Warner Brothers, Boeing, the successor to Sentry books, and Aviation News have to say.....

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode......

Dan Katz
Dan Johnson

Post by Dan Johnson »

Dan, are you looking to do profiles of Mary Ann in her different schemes?

I've done tons of profiles of 109Es, Spitfires, Mustangs, etc. And the occasional bomber.

This is the nose of a 24 I did. I can take a shot at Mary Ann without much trouble. To be honest, I've started two versions, one being the pre-update to C standards and the other is the C standard. Nowhere near done yet, but will make a push. Once the templates are done, we can do all kinds of B17Bs

pokryshkin

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Dan,
I had no idea!!!
This would be an incredible help!
What we would need for this particular article, and would wind up expanding on for the book (if things ever get that far) would be side views showing what's seen in the film, as follows:
1. B-17B 38-211 "8211"18" from the right side, as seen on the flightline
2. YB-17 "05" as seen behind "8211""18"
3. B-17B 39-001 "15""9001" with dotted line showing what's seen in the film and what obviously was on the rest of the left side of the aircraft
4. B-17B 38-261 "8261""07" from the left side showing what you saw in the taxying scenes, ?? ??
5. B-17B 38-584 in its initial identity of BG or 7B and, finally,
6. B-17B 38-584 "8584""10" with the silver fin de-icer boot replacement, and, later, as
7. B-17B as 'B-17D' "40-5564" "05564" "10" with that darkened "4" on BOTH sides of the tail, painted on the right side to match the final real digit on the left side, and finally
8. B-17B "05564" with the "10"s painted out.

These, along with "17" "8270" and "04" "9006" would pretty much nail things down!

You ARE a Renaissance Man !!!

Thank you VERY much! (That 'Lib' nose is BEAUTIFUL!!)

Regards,
Dan K.
pokryshkin

Got More B-17B IDs for you, Dan K.

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Dan,
This post is to flag you to note that I agree that, for the article, and for any book covering this, we should depict "Mary Ann" in her original livery: (see prior post)

?? or else ??
BG or else 7B in Natural Metal Finish.

I wonder if we can track down the exact ID or whether we might have to show one of Mary Ann's sisters in exact ID for the Seventh Bomb Group. This would still do, until someone comes forward with a photo of the aircraft herself!

Regards,
Dan K.
pokryshkin

Got More B-17B IDs for you, Dan K.

Post by pokryshkin »

Dear Dan, Tony, Bill, Steve, et al,

I just noticed something - a couple of somethings - in that photo of B-17B "05":

First, that C intake is on a nacelle section of different color - does that mean that this was a replacement part?

Second, the Mission Commander's Bubble can be seen through slightly at this angle - that means it's offset to the right! UH-OH!!! ANOTHER B-17B!

Thought you'd like to know!

Regards and best wishes,
Dan Katz
C-47B

Post by C-47B »

If someone is going to go through the trouble of making artwork profiles for this airplane--why not do both? Show a profile of Mary Ann as the airplane appeared during the movie and show a profile of the airplane in Natural Metal in the airplane's early career. Both should be included as a matter of course. That is how I would do it.

As for B-17B # 05:

The intake scoop can be easily replaced from another airplane; it is the off set commander's dome that is the certain clue as to the mark.

C-47B

Anthony J. Mireles