B-17C / Fortress GR I AN530

A dedicated forum to getting a B-17C back in the air.
terveurn

B-17C / Fortress GR I AN530

Post by terveurn »

Just wondering if anybody checked-up on the solid rumor of AN530 being buried at RAF Benbecula on 11 September 1943
DryMartini

Re: B-17C / Fortress GR I AN530

Post by DryMartini »

No. But that would be interesting.
You have any info?
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

All my notes from 20-30 years ago are long gone (computer crash's, etc), but I remember talking to a bunch of ex-RAF CC crews (was doing both Liberator and Fortress research) and the discussion came-up that AN530 crashed / salvaged and was buried on site.
DryMartini

Post by DryMartini »

Huh.

I knew of a fortress crash in Scotland.
There were some pictures on the web at
one time. I think it was an 'E' though. All that
was left was a rusting engine mount, and
some small debris.

Buried on base, or at the crash site?
Come on, man! Think! :-)

-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

On base

Attached is my notes from the time.

Might be worthwhile to get somebody to obtain from the British Archives, the RAF Station records for this time. They are usually pretty complete regarding aircraft movements. Same thing with the RAF Cards
Buried.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robstitt

Post by robstitt »

When wrapping up my Coastal Command Fortress book I learned that a former 206 Sqn navigator by the name of Joe Griffith lived just down the road.

I made a couple of visits and Joe proved to be a goldmine of additional information on Fortress operations from RAF Benbecula.

Among the details he obviously clearly remembered was that one of the Fortress Is (B-17C) that had been used for training and inter-island transportation was unserviceable and, since there was pressure on the unit to move south to Thorney Island in advance of 206 and 220 Sqns being attached to the Azores and the fact that Benbecula was very remote, the decision was made to dispose of the Fortress in situ.

Quoting Joe: [The Fortress was] buried in a large hole dug by local civilians at one end of the airfield."

There's nothing on AN530's AM Form 59 to suggest it was involved in an accident. It was coded 'VX-F' with 206 Sqn [Source: Aircrew logbook].

Robert
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

robstitt wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:16 pm When wrapping up my Coastal Command Fortress book I learned that a former 206 Sqn navigator by the name of Joe Griffith lived just down the road.

I made a couple of visits and Joe proved to be a goldmine of additional information on Fortress operations from RAF Benbecula.

Among the details he obviously clearly remembered was that one of the Fortress Is (B-17C) that had been used for training and inter-island transportation was unserviceable and, since there was pressure on the unit to move south to Thorney Island in advance of 206 and 220 Sqns being attached to the Azores and the fact that Benbecula was very remote, the decision was made to dispose of the Fortress in situ.

Quoting Joe: [The Fortress was] buried in a large hole dug by local civilians at one end of the airfield."

There's nothing on AN530's AM Form 59 to suggest it was involved in an accident. It was coded 'VX-F' with 206 Sqn [Source: Aircrew logbook].

Robert
Old news - I knew about this ship being buried in the 1980's.

The ship was according to my sources was buried on 11 September 1943

Now dig-up the Oklahoma city B-17's that according to numerous reports are still undergound (There should be a posting someplace on Aerovintage that I wrote many years ago)
40-2066.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
varsity07840

Post by varsity07840 »

The history of 40-2067 in interesting. Initially assigned to the 7th BG, the to the 28th BS, 19th BG prior to movement to Clark Field. I've never seen documentation that the 28th became part of the 19th BG on paper in the States.
Duane
cfin2001

Post by cfin2001 »

Hi everyone, first post on the forum. This thread is captivating to me. I'm shocked that there hasn't been any attempt to relocate the buried airframe! Do we know if it was removed later and scrapped?
22 years young and caught the warbird bug!
List of places I've volunteered:
-LSFM (less than a month, COVID)
-Texas Military Forces Museum (2021-22)
-CAF CenTex Wing (2023-)
cfin2001

Post by cfin2001 »

[/quote]
Now dig-up the Oklahoma city B-17's that according to numerous reports are still undergound (There should be a posting someplace on Aerovintage that I wrote many years ago)
[/quote]

I thought I saw the post on this forum for these, but I can't seem to find it since. Have a friend who lives in Oklahoma City who'd love to partake in a search for it.
22 years young and caught the warbird bug!
List of places I've volunteered:
-LSFM (less than a month, COVID)
-Texas Military Forces Museum (2021-22)
-CAF CenTex Wing (2023-)