SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

A dedicated forum to getting a B-17C back in the air.
DIK SHEPHERD

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Post by DIK SHEPHERD »

On a project such as this, more things are needed than just money and material.

The ability to take advantage of situations that arise can often cost a few (sorely) needed dollars in the beginning, but save untold amounts of money later on.

One of those situations is currently taking place on eBay. What is happening is that the Boeing Company is divesting itself of tons of shop equipment at (literally) pennies per pound. Shop equipment such as rivet guns, rivet squeezers, bucking bars, milling machines, pneumatic drills, drill bits, reamers, hydraulic lifts, hydraulic work stands, and the list goes on and on. Most of this equipment is used (and still very usable), but a lot of it is brand new.

I've seen listings of a dozen rivet guns starting at $0.99, plus shipping, and a lot of the time no one bids for them. This is only one example and I've lost count on how many more there have been. :?

The whole point of this topic is - wouldn't it be wise for someone to try and obtain some of this equipment for future use, while the prices or low, instead of having to spend greater amounts later? :shock:

A lot of pieces on this project will have to be milled, so wouldn't it be more cost effective to have a good milling machine to use instead of outsourcing the work at a greater cost? :oops:

Just some more of my thoughts. 8)
DryMartini

I agree

Post by DryMartini »

Dik,

What you say is very true.
Now, we do have equipment, but I'm always good with
bargains. If you see something, shoot me an email.
I'm not looking at $$$ePay$$$ regularly much, so I could
use the heads up.

-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
hang the expense

tools

Post by hang the expense »

Dik is so right on.You can never have too many tools such as drill motors and all different sizes and shapes of riveters,squeezers etc.Instead of going to strip clubs anymore I spend my money on tools.Very cost effective that way :lol:
HANG THE EXPENSE
gary1954

Post by gary1954 »

Strip clubs, Ha ha Ha, yer funny Tom, how in the h e double tooth picks have you "ever" had time to go to a strip club? Show 'er yer tools mate.
Gary
" Never in the history of mankind have so many owed so much to so few." Sir Winston Churchill
tinbender2

Post by tinbender2 »

If you are referring to the ebay seller Bidado, who sells Boeing's surplus tooling, I doubt you'll get much of a deal. BTDT.

Their shipping prices are astronomical, and they will not combine orders to reduce these costs.

While they start auctions at .99 cents, the closing prices are usually in the hundreds of dollars.

Much of their tooling is worn out, at least hand tools.

Buying aircraft tools today is pretty much a crapshoot. A year ago I had stopped buying from all but a few trusted sellers, but now even these folks have gone over to the dark side, and are selling repainted trash tools.

I have over 900 aircraft tool purchases on ebay, and probably 30% were junk tools discarded from the factories, way beyond repair.

There are still deals on ebay, but far fewer than previous years, and the competition is stiff.