12 O'clock High (1949)

A forum for things about Paul Mantz, Frank Tallman, and Tallmantz Aviation.
JDDavis2

12 O'clock High (1949)

Post by JDDavis2 »

Paul Mantz's classic spot landing
source: screen grabs from the movie

terveurn

Re: 12 O'clock High (1949)

Post by terveurn »

A couple of points - later on in the movie, you can see this exact same B-17 taxing in the background.

The other item of interest is that the tent posts used in the crash sequence are supposed to have been steel posts set into concrete.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Definitely only one pilot--Mantz--in the cockpit.

As for the steel posts and cement, supposedly set up to cause the aircraft to spin around. The only source I know of for this is the Dwiggins book... Anyone know of any other source for that bit of info? Dwiggins book is not reliable in my estimation. The cameras seem to be set up for what ended up in the film.

The whole bit about Mantz having a steel bar welded across the four engine throttles? Pretty dubious to me...the basic throttle setup allows for all four engines to be controlled with one hand.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"
DryMartini

Post by DryMartini »

Scott, I had heard a story about that steel post coming through the fuselage
and "just missing" Mantz. I see no evidence in the film of anything coming through
the nose of the plane, and the plane clearly lands between the tents, and so I
wonder if this is, like the steel bar welded across the throttles, another story.
-Bill
B-17E 41-2595 "Desert Rat" Restoration Team
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

I think a good publicist making a good story. I don’t think either story is credible. I’d like to find the original source of both.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books

JDDavis2

Post by JDDavis2 »

Mantz statement about the tent poles.

"One of the tents had blown down earlier and a prop man...had spliced the broken tent pole with a six—foot length of iron pipe. You should have seen that iron pipe when I hit the tent. It went right up, made two spins toward me and sailed just over the Windshield and the cockpit. I swallowed raw heart for two days afterwards."

Mantz statement about the welding rods.

Welding rods (were) connected to controls the copilot would ordinarily handle in such a way to manipulate them from the pilot's position.

Quotes: from "Hollywood's Plane Crasher" in the 'Saturday Evening Post' April 14, 1956.
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Well, that sounds different from what (I think) is in the Dwiggins book. I don't have it here but I'll check later. I thought he implied that the steel post was to catch the wing of the bomber so it would spin around for the camera (and not just hold the tent up) and the throttles had a bar welded across them...not that something was hooked up to reach the copilot controls he needed to manipulate (wonder what those might have been?). Interesting and, thanks, J.D., for the quote. I would imagine that is the source point for the later stories.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books

JDDavis2

Post by JDDavis2 »

Quotes from Dwiggens "Hollywood Pilot"

p-205 "...mechanic Bob King rigged a welded rod across the four throttle levers so he could yank them all back at once..."

.....(not necessary, the B-17 throttles are designed to be easily operated with one hand)

p-205 "Inside one of the tents was a big iron post he was supposed to hook a wing onto and spin around"

......(if there was he sure missed it)

p-206 "He (took off), circled out over the Gulf, and jettisoned his ball turret..."

.....(how could he do that flying solo ?)

p-206 "One of the iron poles suddenly flipped into the air and came sailing directly toward the cockpit. Mantz ducked but the pole flew overhead, missing the canopy by a whisper"

.....The last one matches the 'Saturday Evening Post' article which appears to be a more accurate version of Mantz history. PM if anybody wants a copy.
Last edited by JDDavis2 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terveurn

Post by terveurn »

JDDavis2 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:11 pm p-206 "He (took off), circled out over the Gulf, and jettisoned his ball turret..."
(how could he do that flying solo ?)
Reminds me of the old wives tale that belly landing with the ball turret will break the back of a B-17 and the aircraft would only be fit for scrap.

After reading 5,000+ accident reports, I call this tale busted.... Lots of B-17's landed with the ball turret getting crushed and the aircraft were repair quickly.