William Wyler's Memphis Belle

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
Steve Birdsall

William Wyler's Memphis Belle

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Just a question someone might be able to answer.

I've been dubbing some old VHS tapes to DVD and I wondered if there is a decent DVD copy of Wyler's Memphis Belle in existence. The tape I've had for years is truly crappy.

I see that there are lots of versions of it around on DVD, including a "remastered" one, but I'm a bit sceptical.

I also heard that there were hundreds of feet of "cuts-and-outs" at Norton AFB, color footage shot for Wyler that wasn't used in the final film. If true, there's a worthwhile project there for someone.
www.B17BlackJack.com
Second Air Force

Re: William Wyler's Memphis Belle

Post by Second Air Force »

Steve,

I have a DVD with Memphis Belle and two other short training films on it. The quality of the disc I have isn't any better than the old VHS tape I've had for years. I have also seen the "remastered" ads and wonder if there is a difference.

As to the unused film, I knew that Mr. Wyler and his crew shot a LOT of feet of film but I never knew where it ended up. You're right--it would be a wonderful project.

Scott

P.S.
I'm planning on delving into the Kansas 2AF bases this year and I'll be looking for more info on The Mustang and the other training Forts.
mustangdriver

Post by mustangdriver »

I bought the remastered one, and yes it is more clear. This is the special edition one that has the black cover. It also has alot of the cut footage on a second disc inside.
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Thanks guys, I knew I'd come to the right place!
www.B17BlackJack.com
b29flteng

Post by b29flteng »

Where can I get a copy of the remastered?
mustangdriver

Post by mustangdriver »

Here you go

http://www.amazon.com/Memphis-Belle-60t ... 53&sr=8-19

There is also a Blue ray out as well now
b29flteng

Post by b29flteng »

Thanks. Some reviews are good and some were bad. Anyone want to add to the reviews?
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Chris, what do you think of the raw footage that comes with the two-disc DVD set? It should be pretty near perfect, maybe a little faded, but not scratched. What does it focus on - planes, nose art, 91st or 305th?

I was amused by some of the reviewers at Amazon who moaned about the lack of a sound track . . .
www.B17BlackJack.com
AIR DEPOT

Post by AIR DEPOT »

Steve, You asked about the raw footage. William Wyler had several photographers from different bases shooting raw footage for the movie. Daniel McGovern shot quite a lot of footage at Chelveston, with the 305th BG. You used to be able to reach him through the 305th BG for copies of his footage. You might also be able to reach him through an internet search. Don
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Thanks Don, I'll check it out.
www.B17BlackJack.com
AIR DEPOT

Post by AIR DEPOT »

Dan McGovern told me that his detachment was with the 305th BG, and that another detachment was with the 306th. I have never seen any of the extra 306th footage. I will contact the 306th Echoes Newsletter, and see if anyone has footage. Another good source for raw 8th AF B-17 footage is Dr. Milt Furness's films.He was a Flight Surgeon with the 92nd BG. You can get copieson the internet, and some have been showing up on YouTube. Exceptional stuff, especially the scenes of B-17s taking off in heavy fog.
mustangdriver

Post by mustangdriver »

I love it. It is very clear, and it is just cool to see not only what is being shot, but what is in the background. There is no sound at all, and that is OK with me.
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

Well, I bought a copy of that 60th Anniversary Collector's Edition and I don't regret it. They apparently used several prints to come up with this film, so the quality can vary quite a bit from scene to scene. I also wonder why they bothered with a "wide screen" version - I didn't watch more than a few minutes of it. But when the restoration works it looks great, and it's still a wonderful film.

Scott, here’s a sample of what the good parts look like . . .

The raw footage is really interesting, but it probably helps to know a little about what you're looking at. Lots of famous faces - Eaker, Spaatz, LeMay. Quite a bit on George Birdsong and his Delta Rebel No 2 and crew.

Not for everyone, but a thing of beauty nonetheless, and something we could only dream of in pre-digital days.
www.B17BlackJack.com
Steve Birdsall

Post by Steve Birdsall »

There's also some great footage of Memphis Belle on tour . . .

www.B17BlackJack.com
aerovin2
Site Admin

Post by aerovin2 »

Looks like good stuff. I'll have to get ahold of a DVD copy.
Scott Thompson
Aero Vintage Books
http://www.aerovintage.com

"The Webmaster, More or Less"