Casting aluminum

Post here with anything to do with warbirds, those fine vintage flying machines.
17f

Casting aluminum

Post by 17f »

I am looking into doing an aluminum casting project when the weather warms up here in Ohio. At this point, the parts I am looking into making are non-structural, non-load bearing, however you want to put it. I have done some research and found it is possible to do at home without breaking the bank.

Does anybody out there have any experience casting aluminum? Any tips / tricks / advice? Anyplace reputable where you get your supplies? Where do you get your aluminum? The biggest problem I am having thus far is finding a small quantity supplier of aluminum ingots. I also thought about approaching some of the resto groups looking for junk castings that could be re-smelted. That way, the casting would be a little more "vintage".

Anybody out there want to weigh in on this?
braydens

Re: Casting aluminum

Post by braydens »

I have no personal experience! But last year I had hired Simmons Group USA for iron castings services. You can contact them for getting your solution.
menards2

Post by menards2 »

Try your local scrap metal dealer. You can find sheets of aluminum diamond plate for reasonable money.

or your local junk yard maybe...if your going to be smelting anyways...some old intake manifolds or cylinder heads can usually be had for cheap...
Dennis56

Post by Dennis56 »

For aluminum "scrap", maybe a local mower shop for junk mowers (much of the engine is made of aluminum).
Many years back, the EAA Sport Aviation magazine had a detailed article of how a builder made his own furnace for making aluminum castings. If it is not on the web, I'm sure someone else has come up with something similar. It was basically a 5 gallon bucket with some kind of fire proof cement poured inside and the center - maybe 6" hollow. Of course you couldn't use a plastic bucket for this. He also used a hair dryer to circulate air in the fire. Dennis